Arthritis can cause a lot of pain and lead to immobility and disability. Falls are also more common and more serious for people who have arthritis. Since May is National Arthritis Awareness Month, we want to offer some tips for managing arthritis pain for yourself or your loved ones.
10 Ways Manage Arthritis Pain
- Keep Moving. It is important to keep your joints moving by doing gentle stretches, walking, or even just standing more often.
- Maintain Good Posture. Whether you are sitting, standing, or lying in bed, pay attention to your posture. Good posture will put less pressure on joints, decreasing wear and pain.
- Learn & Ask Questions. Talk to your doctor, nurse, or family about arthritis and helping you with the pain. Learn all you can about arthritis management.
- Consider Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy. Talk to an OT or PT to see if there are specific exercises for strengthening your muscles around problematic joints.
- Avoid Repetitive Motion. Activities that may be high impact and repetitive can make arthritis worse.
- Try Heat or Cold. Sometimes a heating pad or a hot bath may ease achy joints. Moist heat can help muscles to relax. For others, an ice pack on sore muscles will help reduce inflammation.
- Find Healthy Ways to Relax. Keep your mood positive with activities such as gentle yoga, listening to music, mediation, doing a puzzle, or reading. Relaxing and keeping your mind off the pain is good for your body and mind. Learn more about reducing stress.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep. Pain can disrupt sleep and a lack of sleep can make the pain worse. Learn more about how to get a good night’s sleep with arthritis pain.
- Eat Healthy Meals. Fresh, unprocessed foods and fermented foods like yogurt may help to reduce pain. Learn more about healthy eating for seniors.
- Take a B-12 Vitamin. A deficiency in vitamin B-12 can play a role in nerve pain. A daily B12 supplement may help.
Questions about arthritis management at Twin Town Villa?
At Twin Town Villa in Breckenridge, MN, we offer Assisted Living, Memory Care, and Care Suites to match the needs of each resident, and their specific needs. We serve the communities near Wahpeton, ND, and Fergus Falls, MN. If you have questions about Senior Living options for your loved one or would like a tour of our community, please contact us online or call 218.643.9542.