Caring for a person with Alzheimer’s or dementia takes flexibility and patience. We have gathered some helpful tips for family members to reduce frustration and keep your loved one safe.
Reducing Frustrations when Caring for Person with Alzheimer’s or Dementia
- Keep instructions simple and clear. One-step directions are easiest for people with dementia to follow.
- Schedule and follow a daily routine. Build-in some flexibility and get to know when your loved one will be the most alert or refreshed for more challenging tasks.
- Reduce distractions. Sometimes TV, the News, or other distractions will make it hard for them to focus. When eating meals or having a conversation remove the distractions if you can.
- Stay flexible. Flexibility and adaptability are key when interacting with a person with dementia. As they become more dependent over time, adapt your routines and expectations.
- Put effort into communication and listening. Take the time to listen without interruptions. Speak slowly and clearly, using familiar words.
Creating a Safe Environment for People with Dementia
Since dementia impairs problem-solving skills and judgment, safety becomes a major concern by family members. When a family feels that their loved one can no longer independently live on their own, Twin Town Villa’s Memory Care Community is a great place to call home.
Safety Issues Related to Dementia to Consider at Home
- Fire safety precautions. Smoking and cooking can create concerns about fire safety. Make sure a fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detectors are working and accessible.
- Preventing Falls. Clutter, extension cords, rugs, and stairways can cause painful falls. Make sure to install handrails and grab bars throughout the area.
- Burns from hot water. To reduce the chance of hot water burns, lower the thermostat on the hot water heater.
- Locking up dangerous items. Consider locking cabinets or removing items from home that could be dangerous such as guns, medicine, dangerous utensils, or toxic cleaning substances.
Providing Care to our Residents & Support to their Families
At Twin Town Villa, we understand that every person with Alzheimer’s, dementia, or other memory issues is different, not only in their symptoms and progression but also their past experiences and memories. Our Memory Care staff connects with each resident to get to know them, who they truly are now, and in the past. We also offer special features in our Memory Care community to reduce frustrations and provide a safe and comforting environment for our residents with dementia.
When is the Right Time to Move into Memory Care?
At Twin Town Villa in Breckenridge, MN, we offer Assisted Living, Memory Care, and Care Suites to match the needs of each resident. We serve the communities near Wahpeton, ND, and Fergus Falls, MN. If you have questions about Senior Living options, how to choose a care facility, or would like a tour of our community, please contact us online or call 218.643.9542.